Greece Photo Tours
The largest island in Greece. Crete is a feast for the senses: wild natural beauty and thousands of years of culture, history and exquisite cuisine.
Crete is the combination of the crystal clear blue sea, the rough but imposing mountains, the renowned museums and ancient settlements, the impressive caves and precipices that have been known since prehistoric times, the frescos with the lively colours, the mild climate, the enchanting coasts with the ultramodern hotels, the charming mainland with the picturesque villages, the traditions and warm hospitality, and the excellent local cuisine (composed mainly of meat, virgin
olive oil, fruit, vegetables and legumes) that has been proven by scientific research to dramatically increase the average life expectancy. It is a unique place and the largest island in Greece.
Don’t miss out on:
• Strolling around the old Venetian town of Chania with the fortress and the lighthouse. Visit the market of the city and taste the drooling culinary delights of Crete as well as their strong drink, raki.
• Basking at the golden exotic beaches facing the Libyan Sea all along the Cretan shore, from Falassarna in the west to Vai in the East, where one feels they are on a tropic island while still being in Europe. Vai is also known for its exotic forest of palm trees.
• Diving at the spectacular underwater cave of the Elephants, owing its name to the bones of elephants found there. It is not far from the port of Chania called Souda.
• Participating in agritourism activities in the Vamos peninsula and Milia traditional village in Chania district.
• Taking pedalo rides at Kournas Lake, the only natural lake of Crete and an important wetland too
Discover Crete – Springs, lakes, gorges and caves wait to be explored.
Feeling the joys of the mountain at Psiloritis, whose Geopark is part of the UNESCO network. Springs, lakes, gorges and caves wait to be explored.
• Visiting Idaion Antro, the cave where mythology puts the bringing-up of Zeus. Not far from there you can visit mountainous villages like Anogeia and get to know original Cretan culinary traditions, such as meat skewered to the ground and grilled against a burning fire.
• Taking part in the Carnival activities in the city of Rethymno, or biking through it to admire Venetian architecture.
• Canyoning at the Samaria gorge and exploring an impressive array of flora and fauna exceeding 500 species some of which endemic to the Cretan land.
• Taking a cultural safari around the Minoan antiquities where the palace of Knossos holds the reigning position with its worldwide famous bright colorful architecture.
• Getting familiar with the mysteries and marvels of the seas in Cretaquarium, one of the best places in Europe for an acquaintance with hundreds of marine species.
Golfing and giving into luxury in Elounda, a place hosting some of the most high-end hotel units in Europe.
• Visiting the southernmost city of Europe, Ierapetra, whose winning card for a beach experience is the volcanic little island of Chryssi, which will take your breath away with its stunning natural beauty.
• Setting foot on the island of the outcasts, Spinalonga, a rock Venetian-fortified piece of land floating in turquoise waters.
What is now one of the most popular attractions of Crete, used to keep secrets of separation and fear back at the times when lepers were confined to it.