Discover The Ionian Islands
Greece Photo Tours
Greece with an Italian flavour: Venetian castles and churches, olive trees and pine forests down to the water’s edge, and an extra music gene that sets the island apart.
The sapphire waters of the Ionian Sea welcome you to paradise. Kefalonia, Corfu, Zante, Lefkada, Ithaca, and Paxi. All of these holiday destinations are wonderful. The major islands of the Ionian lived for centuries under Venetian rule and it shows in their castles and churches. Carpeted with olive trees, pines and vineyards, they are fertile and green, a stunning setting for their award-winning white-sand beaches and peacock-blue waters. Their hospitable citizens have an extra music gene.
Don’t miss out on:
- The beaches! On all of the Ionian Islands there are golden beaches and crystal azure exotic waters like nothing you have ever seen before. Amongst them, allow us to mention the beach of Myrtos on Kefalonia, the beach of Porto Katsiki on Lefkada and the beach of Navagio (=shipwreck) on Zakynthos.
- The city of Corfu, Greece’s largest preserved medieval town and one of the most beautiful in the Mediterranean which, as of 2007, has been on the list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The tastes of the island of Corfu which is brimful of age-old olive groves, fruitful vineyards, and all kinds of citrus fruits that provide exquisite ingredients for specialties ranging from aperitifs to spoon sweets, and from dairy products to unique meat dishes.
- The lacy beaches, small coves, green hills with olive trees,imposing cliffs, sea caves and particularly interesting hewn stone cisterns dotting on the island of Paxi.
- Antipaxi, the stunning miniature of an island, southeast of Paxi, known for its fantastic beaches.
- Vassiliki, Lefkada tourist hub with abundantly flowing streams and a vibrating nightlife, widely known as a windsurfers’ paradise.
- The Melissani Lake cavern on Kefalonia, once the worship site for god Pan’s ancient cult, near Karavomylos, accessible by small boat. The sunlight, entering through the cave’s collapsed part of the roof, turns everything within the cave into a fairyland of iridescent light.
- The National Marine Park of Zakynthos, one of the most important loggerhead sea turtle Caretta Caretta nesting areas in the Mediterranean.
- The mythical gorgeous island of Ithaca. After all, you should “Keep Ithaka always in your mind. Arriving there is what you are destined for” (Cavafy, Ithaca, translated by Edmund Keeley/Philip Sherrard).
The Ionian Islands have sea waters as deep as they are refreshing, verdant mountains, a rich cultural heritage and a carefree spirit; the ideal combination for your holidays during which you will enjoy a well-developed tourism infrastructure,hotels, restaurants, water sports centres, cultural events and numerous sights, historic monuments, and museums.